Host error variable
extern int h_errno;
Use the -l socket option to
to link against this library.
The h_errno variable can be set by any one of the following
It can be set to any one of the following:
- Authoritative answer: Unknown host.
- You specified an invalid address family when calling
- Valid name, no data record of the requested type.
The name is known to the name server, but has no IP
address associated with it—this isn't a temporary
error. Another type of request to the name server using this
domain name will result in an answer (e.g. a
mail-forwarder may be registered for this domain).
- Unknown server error. An unexpected server failure was encountered.
This is a nonrecoverable network error.
- Nonauthoritative answer: Host name lookup failure.
This is usually a temporary error and means that the
local server didn't receive a response from an authoritative
server. A retry at some later time may succeed.
POSIX 1003.1 OBS
h_errno isn't thread-safe.