QNX News Releases
QNX Optimizes Embedded Performance with New Intel C++ Compiler
OTTAWA, November 23, 2004 - QNX Software Systems today announced that it is the first company to offer the new Intel® C++ Compiler 8.1, a highly optimizing compiler specifically designed for embedded Intel Architecture application development. By combining the power of the newest Intel compiling engine with fully compatible development tools, QNX is delivering advanced optimization features that provide outstanding performance and accelerated software development for telecommunications, industrial automation, gaming, and general embedded applications.
Designed for use with the QNX® Momentics® development suite Professional Edition, the Intel C++ Compiler 8.1 for the QNX Neutrino® realtime operating system (RTOS) includes source and binary compatibility with GCC 3.3. This allows developers to mix code compiled by the Intel Compiler with code compiled by GCC 3.3, ultimately streamlining the development process and shortening configuration time and costs. The Intel C++ Compiler 8.1 for the QNX Neutrino RTOS is also compatible with GNU utilities, such as make, Emacs, and gdb, further saving developers time and effort.
Designed to generate optimized binaries for Embedded Intel Architecture processors, the new compiler offers developers a number of technical advantages, including:
- Optimized floating-point instruction throughout - Uses the stack to execute efficient floating-point instructions, improving application performance in embedded processors that put calculation results in any stack register.
- Interprocedure optimization (IPO) - Optimizes code through inlining, replacing multiple function calls with actual function codes and performing absolute addressing.
- Profile-guided optimization (PGO) - Optimizes application performance by reorganizing code layout to reduce instruction-cache thrashing, shrinking code size and reducing branch mispredictions.
- Data prefetching - Hides memory access latency by moving data items closer to the processor. Data prefetching is automatic, coordinates with other optimizations, and allows the code to remain portable.
- Full support for streaming SIMD extensions 3 (SSE3) - Provides improved performance for floating-point and double-precision computational needs. The SSE instructions are supported by inline ASM, compiler intrinsics, class libraries, and the vectorizer.
- Automatic vectorizer - Automatically parallelizes code and demonstrates how to increase the speed of application execution. Includes advanced support for dynamic data alignment strategies, such as loop peeling and loop unrolling.
"With the Intel C++ Compiler 8.1 for the QNX Neutrino RTOS, embedded developers can achieve new levels of application performance, particularly with respect to floating point, multimedia, and vector operations," said Linda Campbell, director of strategic alliances at QNX Software Systems. "The Intel C++ Compiler offers an ideal complement to the QNX Neutrino RTOS and is a logical choice for any project where performance is paramount."
"We are pleased to be working with QNX Software Systems to provide embedded developers with a solution capable of setting new standards for embedded application development," said Jon Khazam, general manager of Intel's Software Products Division. "Now that the Intel C++ Compiler 8.1 supports the QNX Neutrino RTOS, developers can achieve increased performance and reliability for a whole new class of embedded applications in the telecommunications, industrial automation, and general embedded markets."
The Intel C++ Compiler 8.1 for the QNX Neutrino RTOS is available directly from QNX Software Systems. For more information, contact your QNX sales representative or send email to email@example.com.
About QNX Software Systems
With millions of installations worldwide, QNX Software Systems is the global leader in realtime, microkernel operating system technology. Companies like Cisco, DaimlerChrysler, Harris, Panasonic, Siemens, and General Electric rely on QNX technology to build ultra-reliable systems for the networking, automotive, medical, military, and industrial automation markets. Founded in 1980, QNX Software Systems maintains offices throughout North America, Europe, and Asia.
QNX Software Systems
+1 613 591-0931
QNX, Momentics, and Neutrino are registered trademarks of QNX Software Systems Ltd. in certain jurisdictions. Intel is a trademark or registered trademark of Intel Corporation or its subsidiaries in the United States and other countries. All other trademarks and trade names belong to their respective owners. All other trademarks and trade names belong to their respective owners.