QNX Developer Support
|This version of this document is no longer maintained. For the latest documentation, see http://www.qnx.com/developers/docs.|
List the processes that are hogging the CPU
hogs [options] [pids ...]
- Show the names of processes (hogs always displays the process IDs).
- -p priority
- Run hogs at the given priority (default: the same as the parent process).
- -s sec
- Sleep this long between updates (default: 3 seconds).
- -% num
- Show only processes that consume this percentage or more CPU. You can use this option to reduce the amount of output.
The hogs utility displays a list of processes in descending order by percentage of CPU usage (i.e. it shows who's hogging the processor). It loops forever, sleeping between updates.
The format of the output is tabular, and includes:
- The ID of the process being reported.
- The name of the process (included only if you specify the -n option).
- The number of milliseconds for which this process has been running since the last iteration.
- The amount of time that the process ran in this iteration, as a percentage of the times of all the other processes running.
- The amount of time that the process ran in this iteration, as a percentage of the iteration time.
Display the processes that are using 10% or more of the CPU. Include the name of the processes:
$ hogs -n -% 10 PID NAME MSEC PIDS SYSTEM 1 451 41% 15% 6 devb-eide 141 13% 4% 8 fs-pkg 391 36% 13% 1 570 33% 19% 6 devb-eide 208 12% 6% 8 fs-pkg 798 47% 26% 1 488 32% 16% 6 devb-eide 203 13% 6% 8 fs-pkg 667 44% 22%
This sample includes three iterations.
Fine-Tuning Your System in the Neutrino User's Guide