QNX Developer Support
The Neutrino Programmer's Guide is intended for developers who are building applications that will run under the QNX Neutrino Realtime Operating System.
|Depending on the nature of your application and target platform, you may also need to refer to Building Embedded Systems. If you're using the Integrated Development Environment, see the IDE User's Guide.|
This table may help you find what you need in the Programmer's Guide:
|When you want to:||Go to:|
|Get started with a "Hello, world!" program||Compiling and Debugging|
|Get an overview of the Neutrino process model and scheduling methods||Programming Overview|
|Create and terminate processes||Processes|
|Develop a device driver and/or resource manager||Writing a Resource Manager|
|Use native networking||Transparent Distributed Processing Using Qnet
|Learn about ISRs in Neutrino||Writing an Interrupt Handler
|Analyze and detect problems related to dynamic memory management||Heap Analysis: Making Memory Errors a Thing of the Past|
|Deal with non-x86 issues (e.g. big-endian vs little-endian)||Freedom from Hardware and Platform Dependencies|
|Understand our Makefile methodology||Conventions for Makefiles and Directories|
|Learn how to use the GDB debugger||Using GDB|
|Find out about using memory on ARM targets||ARM Memory Management|
|Find out about advanced Qnet topics||Advanced Qnet Topics|
|Look up terms used in the Neutrino documentation||Glossary|
|We assume that you've already installed Neutrino and that you're familiar with its architecture. For a detailed overview, see the System Architecture manual.|
For the most part, the information that's documented in the Programmer's Guide is specific to QNX. For more general information, we recommend the following books:
- Butenhof, David R. 1997. Programming with POSIX Threads. Reading, MA: Addison-Wesley Publishing Company. ISBN 0-201-63392-2.
TCP/IP programming (note that some of the advanced API features mentioned in the following books might not be supported):
- Hunt, Craig. 2002. TCP/IP Network Administration. Sebastopol, CA: O'Reilly & Associates. ISBN 0-596-00297-1.
- Stevens, W. Richard. 1997. Unix Network Programming: Networking APIs: Sockets and XTI. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice-Hall PTR. ISBN 0-13-490012-X.
- -- . 1993. TCP/IP Illustrated, Volume 1 The Protocols. Reading, MA: Addison-Wesley Publishing Company. ISBN 0-201-63346-9.
- -- . 1995. TCP/IP Illustrated, Volume 2 The Implementation. Reading, MA: Addison-Wesley Publishing Company. ISBN 0-201-63354-X.
Copyright © 2000 -- 2006, QNX Software Systems. All rights reserved.